Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Refinished Nightstand

Problem: (1)Need another piece of furniture to add to existing set or (2) run into problem during refinishing project.

Solution: Find piece of furniture with similar style/lines as existing furniture (finish doesn't matter), (2) go with the flow, a mistake or problem may actually add character to a piece.

Cost: $34

  • Nightstand $18 (flea market)
  • Sand paper $2
  • Stain $4
  • Polyurethane $8
  • Paint Stripper $4

When I purchased this night stand it was graced with 4 coats of paint, the top a light pink color. I used paint stripper to remove as much paint as possible when I ran into a stubborn black coat (must have been spray paint), which wouldn't come off the night stand. I used a palm sander to reveal the wood finish under the paint, but still had trouble removing all the black paint. I decided to try an experiment and stain over blotches of existing paint. I am actually quite impressed with the results, as the paint now resembles cracked parchment or an old map, making the piece much more interesting. Although the existing furniture in the room does not have worn paint, the night stand makes a welcome addition. I also used a router on the once plain edges of the night stand to match existing edges on furniture already in the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home