Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Relativity

Have you ever found a great piece of art or a great home decor item, but decided against your purchase because the piece just didn't fit in with your style? If so, a relative approach to design is for you!

A relative approach to decorating involves utilizing ones resources and imagination. If something doesn't work, make it work. Everything is viewed as a blank canvas, to be changed and made into a piece of art.
When assessing a potential item review the following tips:

  • Assess your overall decorating style to determine your starting point. Are you privy to shabby chic, French country, old English, French provincial, western, modern, traditional, contemporary, formal, causal, etc or do you prefer an eclectic mix? (Click on the "Relativity" heading to take a short 10 question quiz to determine your style- mine was Traditional)
  • Look at the item for what it is. Block out surroundings and only focus on the lines and aesthetic feel of the piece. Do the lines of the item or aesthetic feel work with your style?
  • Don't focus on color or finish (I know it is your first instinct)! The finish of an item is the easiest part to change (I will demonstrate numerous examples throughout my posts).
  • Don't be afraid to experiment! If you decide to change the look of an item, don't be afraid to make mistakes. 95% of the time an error can be easily fixed. You never know, your mistake may actually work and only add character to your piece. Everything I do in regard to refinishing is an experiment. I don't know what I am doing, I just go with the flow, and end up with great, custom results. I make my mistakes work. (I didn't know how to sew, paint, refinish furniture, but I taught myself through experimentation and imagination.)

I took the quiz below from Better Homes and Gardens and scored the following 50% Formal, 40% Casual, 10% Slick. This quiz can help you further refine your style.

http://interiordec.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bhg.com%2Fbhg%2Fstory.jhtml%3Fstoryid%3D%252Ftemplatedata%252Fbhg%252Fstory%252Fdata%252F14473.xml%26categoryid%3D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home